Saturday, July 01, 2006

Laugh Tracks are Ruining Our Youth

You know what I hate? The laugh tracks on kids' shows. Unfortunately, my daughters are now really into Nick Jr., otherwise known as "Nick everyone is white, rich and beautiful." Hillary Duff got her start on Nick Jr. in the "Lizzie McGuire" series if that tells you anything. Now she's a skanky anorexic. Fabulous child role model.

Almost every show on Nick Jr is totally banal. But I'm used to that on television. I mean, it's American entertainment. What do you expect? But what bothers me is the laugh track on these idiotic shows. They are set to go off after just about every line. And the lines aren't funny! The dialogue will be like:

"Little Joshua, do your homework!"
"Gosh, mom, you don't have to yell at me."
laugh track: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa."

No wonder just about every kid I meet is a little retard. Look at what they have to aspire to. Seriously, when I visit my daughters' classrooms, the kids in the class always crack jokes that just aren't funny. This is the fall-out from those faulty laugh-tracks! And what do we parents do? We laugh at the dumb joke so the kid feels good about himself. What are we teaching these youngsters? That self-induced retardation is acceptable behavior?

Did you watch William Huang sing on American Idol and wonder how the hell this little mongoloid-ish freak came to believe he could compete on that show? It's the laugh-track theory. Children today have no sense of reality. Parents dote on them unconditionally and they are taught that no matter how dumb-assed a comment is, everyone will still laugh at it!

It's time we add a little dose of reality back into our childrens' lives. If your kid tells a bomb of a joke, tell him he's an idiot. If your little diva of a daughter puts on an outfit that makes her act like she's hot, tell her she's a whore. If your kid is just plain ugly, point and laugh.

Okay, okay. Settle down. I'm just joking. I know children are sensitive and impressionable and easily beaten down. So I take it back. Don't call your daughter a whore. And don't point and poke fun at your homely little offspring.

But please, please, please don't continue to laugh at jokes that aren't funny. Because the children of today will be writing the television of tomorrow. And I'm scared.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But my grandkids are so darn cute that I really have to laugh at their "jokes". I laugh at their parents...............jokes, I mean.

Anonymous said...

You know what I hate? The cartoons where everyone's voice level is on scream mode. I often feel midly retarded after previewing one of those....

Itchy said...

This is exactly how I feel about all children receiving a ribbon or a certificate just for participating in whatever event it is. That does not fly. That does not relate to the real world and we need to prepare kids for the real world. You don't get a ribbon just for showing up! GAH!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Lizzy on Disney?

Anonymous said...

Absolutley LOVE the way you write girlfrend. My only sugestion might be to write more (longer) because I just love reading it so much what you write. Just keep it coming girlfriend and dont listen to those hater peeps tryina get all upon your shiz like woah girl. Jus keep it real with the LORD and you'll be sittin pretty when it time to get on that gravy train to heaven.