Thursday, March 23, 2006

Truth in Advertising

You know what I hate? False Advertising. This particular advertisement came in my weekly Val-U-Pak. I was checking out all the fancy checks this place offers, and trying to decide whether I'd rather have Betty Boop or the Smurfs.





Then I noticed the lady that is pictured next to the 1-800 number. Come on, now. Let's get real. That lady is NOT sitting in the Checks Unlimited call center making $6.50 an hour.

If you've dialed into a call center lately, you know what I'm talking about. It's always a treat, isn't it?

Here are some pictures of some of the people whom I've talked to lately when I've dialed into various call centers.

I often get this guy... He could give two shits about customer service. FU&% Yo Customer Service, lady!

And I also sometimes speak to this lady... She's really happy to be working. And sitting on the phone all day is way better than greeting people on their way into Walmart.

And I even get this guy...particularly when I call really huge credit card companies... His name is Jack Nelson, but I could swear that I heard someone in the background yelling "Samir, Samir!" He is really nice, but I have no fu&*ing idea what the hell he's saying.

If you encounter any of my friends on your phone lines, please say Hello from me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great and true! You know for a fact that American Express has call centers in India. I remember they had children with spoons digging the ditches for the phone lines. I am sure those kids are now answering phones!

Also, Capital One uses call centers there. I will NEVER get a Capital One card for this reason. My brother had one and when he passed away in January I had to call to cancel his card. I got this guy on the line that had a hard time speaking english and I couldn't understand a word he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat himself fifty times.

One last thing, I used that same picture of the call center lady in one of my e-learning modules, so she gets around!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world. I love to open my office door each day, and walk out into the womderful world of "Call Centers".

Anonymous said...

Could it be that these three call center reps are the only ones in the world? I wonder, because I speak to one of the three every time I have to call.

Yesterday, I received a sales call from a woman who must have just graduated from the University of India. She kept insisting on calling me "Mandy" even though that is not even close to my name.

Anonymous said...

I worked in call centers for 9 years...that is why I ultimately went to college. You know what I hated? CUSTOMERS! I am glad all the call centers are moving to India. If they had moved there in the early 80s, I would never have had to work at them. I know I would have preferred to be on welfare.

Question: why do women care what is on their checks or their credit cards? It might make a difference if they were emblazoned with "F U" in big, bold letters....