Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Throwback Fashions

You know what I hate? The disdain with which this country treats our homebound citizens. We shun them, trick them, laugh at them -- then put them in really ugly clothes. What I'm referring to is something that you and I don't have to deal with. We have cars. We can leave our homes to shop for the latest fashions. But for a homebound citizen -- whether that be someone who is elderly or someone with no legs -- there is no Kmart. No Walmart. No Old Navy.

Which leads me to this:

What is it? It's a culotte ad. It came in the Sunday paper; in the coupon section to be exact. At first, I looked at it and laughed. "Nobody has worn these things since the early 80's," I humored myself. But then, my frown turned upside down. I remembered how my Granny, who was too frail to drive, loved to shop through mail order. She was a huge fan of Fingerhut, and every Christmas, we were thrilled to receive some of the most innovative gadgets around. I do believe the AM radio/toilet paper holder combo was my favorite.

Granny would have succumbed to the culotte ad. Moreover, she would have purchased them in every color. She would have looked ridiculous in them.

I have no issues with companies selling marketable, stylish items to homebound citizens through mail order. What I DO have an issue with is selling the remnants of the massive Yellow Front closures of the early 80's. Come on -- you know those culottes were not made in this century. They were sitting in some wherehouse for 30 years when some over-achieving corporate idiot decided to pull them out, blow the dust off of them, and place them in the coupon section of Sunday's paper. I bet that invalids and relics all over this country are clogging the phone lines trying to get an order in on those Culottes. Shame on that company!

There were some other items in the paper, all equally shameful. Check out this thing:

Is it a bra or a straight jacket? Read the wording towards the bottom of the ad -- "No More Hooks Front or Back." How the hell do you get it on then? Imagine the guy trying to get to second base with the lady wearing this contraption.

As if putting our nation's homebound citizens into uncomely clothes isn't cruel enough, these evil entrepreneurs have also rounded up an overstock supply of home decor. Collector's item is definitely the right word to describe this montage of Collies! Because I bet only a handful of people purchased them the FIRST time around when they set up a display table at the release of "Lassie" in 1978. If you look closely at the description, they are boasting that these saucers are plated in 23-karat gold. 23 karat? What the hell happened to the other karat?

Granny had a very similar plate, only it featured about 10 owl faces. I think she got it at the T,G and Y. At least when she bought it, it was somewhat in style.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All very True Vicki.

The other day, my mom was wearing a pair burgundy stretch polyester knit pants. I thought distractedly, "man those pants make her but look big." Later that day, she told me that she had purchased thm for only 15 bucks from the same type of magazine. She then handed me a Blair catalog -- the male version.

The collector plates were very important in Minerva's life, and became an important reminder about commodities upon her death.

She collected wolf plates, and the accompanying wolf christmas ornaments, plaques, etc. She also collected videos of old movies and tv shows, hummel stamps, and many more things.

These things were not cheap so she worked part-time until her death in order to pay for them.

When we had a rummage sale of her household belongings, the furniture, the collections, everything went for a few hundred dollars.

I tried to sell the hummel stamps on ebay -- no takers.

I remember the rummage sale to this day whenever I am tempted to purchase something "collectible." In fact, I remember it whenever I purchase clothes, electronics, most everything.