Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Weeds in My Salad

You know what I hate? Weeds in my salad.

Since when did it become acceptable to toss crabgrass and foxtails and thistle and other WEEDS into an otherwise nice salad? I mean, come on, dogs eat this kind of thing in order to puke! Does it really make sense, then, to include it with the lettuce that I'm about 2 minutes away from eating?

I used to be a big iceberg fan, but begrudgingly gave it up after finding out it had no health benefits and that it was essentially leaf-water. Now I eat the Spring Mix, which I generally like, except for when I get a spiny, prickly, bitter WEED in my mouth! My husband, who you could safely call a "food elitist" because he used to work at the fanciest restaurant in Phoenix, tells me that the spiny, bitter, foul weeds in the Spring Mix are an acquired taste. Yeah? Well so is ass soup, but you don't see me feasting on that either!

I think putting weeds into our salad is a cop-out by greedy manufacturers who don't want to mess with separating the weeds from the lettuce when they go out to the fields to pick our Spring Mix. Don't be surprised if you also find some coyote turds, raven feathers and dirt clods -- I mean, hell, if we're not going to discriminate, then why not toss it all in?

5 comments:

Vicki Stockton said...

hee hoo hee hoo.

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up, I don't recall ever eating radicchio, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes (otherwise known as spoiled) or balsamic vinegar.

andrea said...

Vicki...I'm starting to worry about you. I think you are spending too much time at home and are losing touch with reality. It's time to get a job again!

Itchy said...

I hate things that are an acquired taste. If I don't like it I'm not going to continue to put it in my mouth. But that's just me.

Marc Schoenfeld said...

I hate that stuff as well. Lettuce should be an unassuming vehicle for the dressing, croutons, carrots, etc. And even boring iceberg still gives you much-needed roughage. Great conspiracy theory as well.